The Main Gallery at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center (CAC) is one of the finest exhibition spaces in central Ohio. The Gallery comprises approximately 2800 sq. ft., divided into 2 display spaces [Images]. We feature several types of exhibits – invitational shows, theme shows, and responses to an open-call to individuals artists, artist teams, and arts organizations. Requests for proposals are sent out periodically to our social media lists and through a variety of opportunity notices. Proposals may be sent at any time to the address shown below and they will be considered in the next review cycle. We typically schedule exhibitions 12 to 18 months in advance.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Works submitted for consideration may be either 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional.
- Artists may enter only their original, untutored work - NO REPRODUCTIONS OF ORIGINAL WORK.
- All artwork presented must remain as part of the exhibit for the duration of the show.
- There is no fee for entering a proposal.
- All entries will be judged from digital images submitted mail on either CD/DVD or flash drive. Proposals for video artworks should be provided in a format that can be played on a standard DVD player.
- Artists must submit images of at least 10 artworks, but no more than 15. All images presented must be indicative of the style, quality, and theme of the exhibition . Within this total detail images are allowed if necessary to show an important feature of an artwork.
- Images are required for all planned installations – a conceptual drawing showing how the installation will be placed in the CAC Gallery is acceptable if the actual work has not been completed.
- Image size requirements: 1920 pixels on the longest side, JPEG format only. Image files should be saved at a combined dpi and resolution THAT WILL RESULT IN A FILE SIZE LESS THAN 2.5 mb.
- Each image should be labeled with the artist's last name and the number of the entry (e.g., JSMITH01.jpg, or JSMITH01-detail.jpg)
- In addition, the following information is required:
- artist's name, address, and contact information (phone, e-mail)
- the title of each artwork (matched to the image number)
- the medium (or media) used
- proposed Title for this exhibit
- your current artist’s resume
- your artist's statement relating to this exhibit
- The CAC reserves the right to reject entry materials not prepared to these specifications.
- Upon delivery, if an accepted artwork is found to have been misrepresented it may be disqualified.
- Submission of a proposal shall constitute agreement on the part of the artist or artist's representative that said images may be used without restriction by the show coordinators for the purpose of promoting the exhibition (e.g., press releases, posters, internet promotion, grant requests and reports).
ARTWORK CONDITION, SIZE LIMITATIONS and SAFETY:
- Accepted artists are responsible for delivering their artworks to the CAC. Extra precautions should be taken with delicate and large pieces.
- Hanging work must be wired and ready to display (saw-tooth hangers and clip frames will not be accepted.) Other forms of installation may be allowed provided that the work is secure (e.g., pins for paper pieces).
- Hanging work may not exceed 6'x 6' or 100 lbs.
- Artists considering a floor installation need to be aware of the limited space available in the gallery and the need to maintain traffic flow to the rest of the Center (a visit to the gallery is recommended).
- Artists proposing video or computer-based artworks may be required to provide the necessary equipment for display.
- The artist, or persons working for the artist, are responsible for installing the exhibition, in coordination with Center staff.
- Glass or plexi-glass must be used over water media, drawings, pastels, prints, and photographs.
- The CAC will have the final decision regarding proper artwork condition and location of each piece and appropriateness for a family-friendly space.
- A safety evaluation will be made for all installations, and modifications may be mandated by CAC staff. Perishable items, or artworks with hazardous components, will not be accepted.
Insurance – The Cultural Arts Center provides $50,000 in insurance coverage for its Main Hall Gallery exhibitions. Our policy stipulates that all art exhibited in the Main Hall Gallery must be insured. Accepted artists will be required to provide a copy of their artwork inventory for the show, including: titles, dimensions, medium, and declared insurance value for each item to be exhibited (even if the item is not for sale). Should the work of the exhibiting artist(s) exceed the $50,000 amount, one of the following options must be selected:
- The artist(s) may adjust the declared value of the work so as not to exceed the insured coverage amount of $50,000 or;
- The artist(s) may choose to limit the amount of work exhibited to the insured coverage amount of $50,000.
- In the case of exhibitions involving two or more artists, the $50,000 insured coverage amount will be divided equally among the participating artists. Should the total value of one artist's work not exceed allotted coverage, the difference would be allotted equally to those artists whose exhibited work does exceed the allotted coverage. Should the declared value of any one artist's work exceed the amount of coverage available, the above two options are viable.
- PLEASE NOTE: Artist's work is insured only for the duration of the exhibit, not in transit or storage. CAC will not be responsible for damages due to artwork improperly hung or installed.
Sales – The Cultural Arts Center will charge a 20% commission on art sales, and work should be priced accordingly. Work not for sale should be marked NFS with the dollar value indicated on the insurance list.
Selection - We make exhibit choices based on several factors:
- Quality of artistic expression, level of execution of the medium and professionalism of presentation
- Appropriateness for our public facility and gallery space
- The proposal review by our selection panel is a closed and confidential process.
Send all proposals to:
c/o Tom Baillieul
The Cultural Arts Center
139 West Main Street
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact:
Tom Baillieul, Main Gallery Coordinator, email@example.com
Geoff Martin, Arts Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org